FILE NO.  DE396/AI6-3                                                                                 21 August 1944.  
From: The Commanding Officer.
To: The Commander Task Group 22.3.
Subject: Rescue Operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.
          1.        Detachment:  
                     The USS JANSSEN in company with USS WILLIS, USS WILHOITE and USS HAVERFIELD (ComCortDiv 51 OTC) were detached from the screen of USS BOGUE on August 20, 1944 at 1305 to attack enemy submarine, which had been sighted and attacked by a plane from the USS BOGUE and piloted by Lt.(jg) Brokas.  
          2.        Preliminary Circumstances.  
                     According to the radio log, the plane had delivered an attack with depth charges and was said to have done damage (later verified; see report on Leutnant Mantel).  Other attacks were delivered.  At 1420 planes reported submarine in sight below the surface and at 1420 reported the submarine to be surfacing.  At this time it was reported that personnel were leaving the submarine and jumping into the water with some personnel remaining on deck.  At 1435 personnel remaining aboard the submarine were brought under strafing attack and at 1442 an explosion in the conning tower was reported with the additional report that the submarine had sunk.  At that time the planes reported approximately 40 personnel in the water – later 42 survivors were recovered.  
          3.        At 1550 two groups of rubber life rafts bearing survivors were sighted, distant 1500 yards in position 42 – 11 N. 51 – 21 W.  Large swells prevented earlier sighting.  Only minor modifications of the course were necessary at the last stage of the approach which reflects considerable accuracy on the part of the planes in giving the escorts the initial bearing.  Planes from USS BOGUE continued to orbit scene of sinking until arrival of escort vessels.  
          4.        Scene of Sinking.  
                     Upon arrival of this vessel on the scene the following items were observed: Numerous submarine rescue lungs, numerous empty life preservers of the kapok type, a large oil slick, a few pieces of lumber and two groups of rubber inflated life rafts bearing personnel.  All life rafts  
- 1 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
in each of the two groups had been lashed together.  In each of the two groups a badly wounded man was in the center.
          5.        Rescue.  
                     USS JANSSEN went close aboard life rafts without injury to survivors and with aid of cargo nets and life lines proceeded to take all survivors aboard, commencing at 1606.  This process terminating at 1620.  
          6.        Disposition of Escorts.  
                     Other escort vessels at the scene proceeded to search the area for dead personnel or material which could be of value to Naval Intelligence.  The exact results of this search are not known by this command.  In the meantime the USS BOGUE accompanied by USS WILLIS arrived at the scene of the action at 1647.  They were preceded a few hundred yards by five Canadian Corvettes, who stood into the scene from another direction.  
          7.        Survivors.  
                     (a)  Forty two (42) survivors were rescued.  A recapitulation of the survivors is as follows:  
Officers   -
1 Oberleutnant
1 Leutnant
1 Stabs Ober Steuermann
Enlisted personnel - 
                     (b)  After the rescue Stabs Ober Steuermann Fritz Beer expired due to immersion and shock despite all efforts of the Medical Officer and those assisting him.  Artificial respiration, adrenalin and oxygen were applied with negative results.  After his demise he was buried at sea in accordance with the traditions of the Navy and in the presence of the Senior surviving officer.  
                     (c)  Remaining personnel were then  
Officers   -
Enlisted personnel -
                     (d)  At the time of this report a complete knowledge of minor wounds has not been obtained.  
- 2 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
                     (e)  Two serious casualties were treated by the Medical Officer, Lt.(jg) Allan H. Neighbors, MC-V(G), USNR, who amputated the right arm of one enlisted man and prepared another enlisted man for an amputation of the leg.  
          8.        Disposition of Prisoners.  
                     (a)  At 1730 an attempt was made to transfer all prisoners to the USS BOGUE but due to the heavy swell this operation was found to be impracticable and the evolution was postponed by Commander Task Group 22.3 until the seas could abate.  
                    (b)  The effort to transfer personnel having been unsuccessful the prisoners were confined to compartment C-201-L containing 38 bunks.  An extra cot was provided for the 39th survivor.  Oberleutnant Heubner was confined to the carpenter shop and Leutnant Mantel was confined to the after officers’ quarters, the latter choice being made when it was determined that the prisoner’s thigh had been severely wounded.  
                     (c)  Hot soup and coffee were distributed to all survivors, after which they were clothed in survivor’s clothing carried aboard as part of the standard allowance.  All hands except those wounded by gun fire were in very good condition despite being in the water for approximately two and one half (2½) hours.  
          9.        Personal effects.  
                     All survivors clothing was placed under guard until a thorough search could be effected which was subsequently carried out.  Other than personal effects the following items of unusual interest were found:  
                     Message (German Naval Communications Service) dated 27 July 1944 and addressed to Ob.Masch. Fritz Seibicke, U-1229 – signature Herzlichen Gluckwunsch 5. U-flottille  
                     Theatre ticket from Trondheim theatre dated 20 July 1944  
                     Receipt from Kiel photographer dated 16 June 1944.  
                     Piece of paper apparently money order receipt dated 12 July at Kiel.  
                     2 liberty cards.  
                    Several postage stamps.  
                     Numerous photographs.  
- 3 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
                     Several scraps of paper which mean nothing to us but which might possibly be of use to Intelligence.  
                     Three notebooks, one of which contains calendar in front on which dates from July 13 through 18 and July 26 through August 19 are blacked out, intervening dates left unblacked.  From story of prisoners the U-boat had been out 25 days, in which case each day the U-boat was at sea had been marked out on the calendar.  Assuming this, boat had been at sea July 13-18 inclusive, probably sailing from Kiel, where receipt was dated July 12, and had sailed again on July 26.  Probably from Trondheim, where theatre ticket is dated July 20.  This notebook also contains list of names, apparently division list, several pages of figuring, and a sketch of a Diesel cylinder.  Other notebooks contain no writing.  
                     Two or three folders in which pictures were found.  
          10.        Intelligence.  
                     The officer survivors were questioned by the Commanding Officer and the following was learned:  
                     Leutnant Oskar Mantel (Propagandamann)  
                     Leutnant Mantel is 40 years old.  Speaks very good English.  Was a resident of New York City, New York for a period of twelve years which period ended in 1941.  
                     Has a sister in New York City who owns three beauty shops.  
                     He was formerly in the wholesale cosmetic business in New York City.  
                     Has served with the German Army almost continuously as a Propagandamann since early in the war.  
                     This was his first trip in a submarine.  
                     Says he was in Japan in 1941 and in Russia the same year.  Was also stationed in Paris for one and a half years where he “was always laying up with the women,” said he had a lovely time.  From the smile of recollection that shone on his face, he apparently did.  At any rate he appears to be a very well traveled man.  
                     With reference to the submarine he stated that  
                     (a)    They had sailed from Norway 25 days ago.  
- 4 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
                     (b)   This was a 9C type of submarine of 900 tons displacement.  
                     (c)    Personnel consisted of 60, including officers and men.  
                     (d)   Could dive to 680 feet.  
                    (e)    That its hull and machinery were practically indestructible.  
                     (f)     That it had remained submerged for eight days and nights continuously when passing Iceland using a “shoot” (Schnorkel).  
                     (g)    That the Commanding Officer was a full Commander who was considered to be too old for submarine duty and, strange to say, this was his first trip in a submarine – a most unusual procedure.  
                     (h)    That the Commanding Officer had been instructed to stay submerged in this area as it was considered very dangerous – more so than in passing Iceland (Incidentally they came south of Iceland).  The Commanding Officer was not killed but chose to remain aboard and go down with his ship and it was he, the Commanding Officer, who had blown up the craft.  Mantel said he knew nothing of the Captain’s orders but they might have been something special.  
                     (i)      Said he knew we had him three days ago because they have a new device by which they can determine when contact has been made on them.  Said he knew we had contact (USS JANSSEN contact August 17).  Later said we never did have contact on him but actually on another German submarine.  
                     (j)     Did not know why submarine remained so deep while travelling submerged.  
                    (k)   Had no contacts nor difficulty until discovered by this Task Group.  Said it had been a very pleasant cruise up to this time.  
                     (l)          Says the first attack delivered by Lt. Brokas on August 20th was a “bullseye” but to demonstrate his statement about indestructible submarine, he said that neither the hull nor the machinery were even slightly damaged.  Every last battery, on the other hand, was cracked or broken.  This was the first damage they had suffered.  When they submerged, chlorine gas was detected after which a “long palavar” was held as to whether they would try and stay down and try to withstand the chlorine or surface, finally deciding on the later action.  Apparently other offensive action did no harm.  He said the pilot who made the first hit on the twentieth was the boy “who did the trick” – “After that the rest is easy, we were in the water.”  There followed a resume of his personal reactions to the situation, including fear of strafing, his resolution to drown himself and finally deciding to swim for safety after which he came upon one of their rafts.  
          A most interesting point is the fact that he has all United States money, about which he is quite concerned.  He explains possession of this money by stating that he used to send his  
- 5 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
  Mother money every month.  She saved it and never deposited the money in banks.  Later when all United States money was to be turned in by Governmental Decree, his Mother gave him all the money which he has kept up to this time.  He was very anxious to explain his possession of this money.  
          He believes that the war will go on for a long period of time – more than a year.  Certain it will not end before spring.  Says it would have been over now if it were not for the bombings of German cities which has incensed the people to a point of renewed resistance.  He says these bombings are horrible beyond description.  Also says Germany cannot recover for 200 years.  Whole cities have been wiped out.  Says that while bombings are bad and leave people totally blind and deaf for an extended period of time, the “typhoons” and terrible storms which follow each raid are the most difficult to withstand.  
          Says Hitler recently conceded that “any man can make a mistake.”  
          Thinks if Hitler is killed that there will be a horrible upheaval in Germany.  Hopes he won’t be there when it happens.  
          Says England and Germany will have to unite within the next ten years to repel Russia.  
          Says prisoners are not concerned with Canadian or British capture but fear American capture because all Germans have been told that all Americans are Jews or controlled by Jews.  
          He knows that France has been invaded.  Says there will be no more open cities such as Rome.  
          Seems to have a well prepared story for the emigration of 30,000,000 Germans from Germany to South America, Canada, United States and with a little emphasis, Australia.  This story is based on the fact that there isn’t enough of Germany left for the remaining Germans.  It seems to be a story concocted for the fulfillment of some German plan for the future.  
          Thinks that Japan is going to give us a very tough fight and it will take us three years to beat them if we beat them.  
  NOTE:  Suggest this man be kept by himself.  He appears to be ready to sell out to save himself.  Apparently he is not a member of the Army or Navy.  He keeps telling stories with the prefix “I didn’t say this but _ _ _ _ _ .”  Might be a potential spy about to be landed in United States well supplied with United States money.  
- 6 -



  Subject:        Rescue operations and Preliminary Report of Prisoners.  
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  
Oberleutnant Willy Buettner
          Thirty years old, recently married, home is in Schwenfurt, 400 kilometers from Berlin.  
          Very reluctant to talk.  
          Says we had pounded him for three days.  
          Said he was at 300 feet when USS JANSSEN made contact (exactly the estimate made by USS JANNSEN at that time) and that we were over him last night.  Also said on first contact on August 17th they dove very deep.  
          Says they have been out for one month.  
          Asked from which port he sailed, he refused to talk then said “The British weren’t so good because they let us out of port.”  
          Has been in the war since it started.  
          Asked what he thought of French bases he said operations were obviously coming to an end anyway and it wouldn’t make any difference.  
          Asked why he was operating in this area he said he had been cut off and had to turn north to escape.  
          Wouldn’t explain why he cruised at great depths.  
          Thinks it will take us three years to lick Japan if we do lick her.  This seems to be a well indoctrinated idea in these officers.  
          Says he studied English for ten years but still can’t speak any English.  Doubtful.  
          Had had no sleep for the fifty hours preceding the attack.  
          Very courteous but he won’t talk.  



Click the icons to view the associated records

Return to the POW Rescue page
Proceed to the U-1229 page
Return to the POW page